How To Choose The Best Resort For Your Photos
It was time to do a location blog feature rather than a specific client/shoot feature!
I help my clients above and beyond showing up and taking photos. I am a full service “studio”- meaning that I help my clients with their whole look if they want! Everything from mood to wardrobe. I often help my clients select a location that creates the vibes they are looking for and give them wardrobe advice and even often give them ideas for the location and vibe they want 🙂 One of the best ways to do this for my clients is to show them blog features that have the location I am recommending! A few months ago I did a blog feature on Beach Vibes In The Desert. I showed off a few water locations to give my clients ideas. Along those lines, today’s feature is simply about finding the perfect Resort Vibes here in Phoenix.
Things to keep in mind when choosing the best resort for your photos
- Vibes: What is the vibe of the resort? Do you want Spanish, Midwestern, Lush, Romantic? Each resort will have it’s own vibe.
- Budget: Yes many resorts charge a fee and ALL need permission to shoot on property. Some resorts charge up to $300+ just to be on property for a 1-2 hour sitting. This is on top of your fee for your photographer. So budget accordingly.
- Scheduling: some resorts are better in the morning some in the early evenings. Be sure to check with your photographer for their recommendation.
Okay so those are just a few things to think about – now I’ll give you just a FEW examples of my favorite resorts to shoot at here in Phoenix!
My FAVORITE resort is
THE SCOTT RESORT & SPA
- I love it because it’s FAMILY friendly! So many safe areas for kids!
- I ALSO love it because there is no fee- however we must obtain permission with the marketing director AND be willing to share the images- so we have to make sure our dates align with their availability.
- I also love it because it’s SO boho! I love myself a good boho vibe! ALWAYS!
- I love that there are several vibes in one place. We have a very lush garden area, cute structures, water, modern, boho, AND and a cute boho indoor area as well.
- They have a restaurant so you can eat an amazing meal after your shoot! Coffee service too! You can get some work done or enjoy a meal all in one place!
- You can also purchase day passes at this resort and enjoy the pool post shoot- think all day fun!
- This location looks good on both overcast days (for a moody vibe) and bright and sunny for my typical Tracy style!
SAN MARCO CROWN PLAZA
This resort use to be on the top of my list when it was free. This changed VERY recently over COVID and now the fee is pretty high with a 2 hour min. I believe it’s $250. However the location is cute. There is a lawn and out from some pillars- the lighting is iffy up there BUT the corridor with the fountain back by the pool is what makes this location a gem.
There are so great mature trees & shaded areas – It’s slightly modern but also very Arizona. There are some seating areas. I love the cactus wall… it’s my fav. There are some good lawn areas
They do have a hefty fee. (FYI this changes all the time but think somewhere around $300) I also do not think it’s worth the fee.
This use to be one of my favorite locations before they raised thier fee. It’s beautiful, spanish vibes, and lots of Arizona sprinkled on top. There are SO many good areas around the property too! The fee use to be very affordable but now they have more than doubled their rates over COVID. I believe it’s close to the $300+ range now. We also have to work around events and their availability. If it’s in your budget it’s GORGEOUS. You want at least a 2 hour shoot to enjoy them all.
This property is super cool & modern. But there are not too many areas to shoot. It’s the lawn or the course or around the architecture. But it’s still really fun. I have a connection with them but I am not sure what the fee is. I know they are very busy and we have to work around their availability so it’s at the bottom of the list.
So I have only had this location requested once for a senior session. They didn’t ask for a fee just needed to approve that we would be there for the shoot. They were very nice and there are some really fun modern and pop of color locations!
Very fun area with several backdrops! I do not know the fee anymore. it’s been years since I’ve been requested to shoot there so I’m not sure at the moment!
Okay this property is so pretty but also VERY far away from the city in general. It is way out in Wigwam. I’ve done just this magazine cover and an editorial shoot for Modern Luxury out there but I think it would be so super pretty for any shoot! I also have no idea what the fee is since I’ve never had to book or pay.
There are lots of other resorts/properties I have shot at! Montelucia, Phoenician, Sanctuary on Camelback, El Chorro, The Four Seasons Troon North etc… I love many of them and others not so much. However either they are too high of a rate, hard to get into or some other reason they didn’t make the 2022 list!
Keep your eyes peeled as I am sure I will add to this post as I find new venues that I like and would recommend to my clients. Also I plan to make other location type guides for my blogs! Join my newsletter or RSS feed to stay in the loop!
How To Choose The Best Resort For Your Photos A Phoenix Location Guide
Want inspo for your next family photosession? Check out my what to wear pinterest board.